Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Five Cold, Quick, Sweet Treats For Summer!

This past week temperatures have been in the 90's (Fahrenheit) in our neck of the woods. In this kind of weather a cold treat is always welcome! I will share with you some of the quick and healthy things I have been eating on these hot days.


1. Frozen Berries


Lots of frozen berries! I just buy them at the store, but they would be a pretty cheap snack of you grew your own.

2. Frozen Grapes



Frozen grapes are like little Italian Ice bites, so yummy!
To freeze grapes you just take them off their stem and wash them, and then you pop them in the freezer.
I had frozen home grown grapes with seeds in them. The seeds are definitely noticeable, but I read that they are good for you so I didn't worry about eating them.

3. Frozen Peas



Believe it or not, I find frozen peas to be very refreshing. I can remember my siblings and I eating up a whole bag of frozen peas when we were little.  My mother had pulled the peas out of the freezer to use in a recipe and we ate them up before she could use them. :)

4. Crushed Pineapple, Frozen 



















Just take a can of crushed pineapple, canned in 100% juice, and put it in the freezer. You may want to freezer it partially so that you can still scoop it, but if you freeze it all the way you can just let it thaw out a little bit before you serve it.

5. Frozen Bananas


Frozen bananas can be enjoyed many ways.
You can eat them plain.
You can make banana popsicles by putting wooden skewers into bananas, freezing them, then dipping them into melted chocolate and rolling them in crushed nuts and the refreezing them.
Or you can make banana ice"cream" with them. No Sugar Added Banana Ice "Cream" is one of my favorite desserts! :) It is super easy and delicious!


No Sugar Added Banana Ice "Cream"
2 frozen bananas 
1-2 TBS. milk

Cut the frozen bananas into 1 inch chunks. Put the banana pieces and a splash of milk into a food processor.
Pulse the food processor until the bananas are smooth, stopping to stir down the sides periodically.
The finished product should look exactly like soft serve ice cream!
You can make variations by adding cocoa powder, chocolate chips, peanut butter, etc... be creative!


What types of cold treats do you enjoy in the hot summer months? Let me know in the comments! :)

2 comments:

Sunshine Country said...

I had to smile about the bag of peas disappearing before your mom could use them in her recipe. :) I don't think I've ever eaten frozen peas; I might have to give that a try. :) We love eating frozen berries with whipped cream. I remember we used to freeze bananas to eat like you mentioned, sometimes dipped in chocolate or maybe peanut butter, or more recently, we just freeze plain bananas to use in banana smoothies. Sometimes we've frozen smoothies in popsicle trays, which is a good way to enjoy them later!

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Sunshine Country,
Thank you for commenting! Freezing smoothies in popsicle trays would be really good! I haven't taken the time to make any for myself, but I think I will try to make some before the summer is over. :)