Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Cranberry-Apple, Soaked, Steelcut Oatmeal



This is my favorite breakfast, at the moment.
I prepare all the ingredients the night before, and soak the oatmeal overnight.
In the morning it cooks quickly and I serve it with cream. Delicious!
I bet you could make this recipe with regular old fashioned oats. You would have to adjust the oat to water ratio. Steel cut oats require more water than old fashioned oats.


I usually don't measure all of my add-in ingredients, but this will give you an idea of what amounts I use.


Cranberry Apple Oatmeal

2 large, servings or 4 small servings:

2/3 cup quick cooking steel cut oats
2 TBS. butter
2-3 TBS. honey
2-3 tsp. molasses
1 Apple, diced
3/4 cup (a couple handfuls) fresh cranberries
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
a few dashes of ground nutmeg
a couple dashes of ground allspice
a couple dashes of ground cloves
2 cups of water
Cream (optional)


Mix all of the ingredients (except for the cream) together in a sauce pan.
Cover, and leave to soak, unrefrigerated, overnight.
In the morning, bring to a simmer, cook for 5 minutes. 
Remove from heat, cover and rest 5 minutes.
Serve with cream.
Enjoy!

No comments: