Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Origami Paper Balloon Cakes!


This is a really fun project! These would be great for a party! They are also really nice for portable, grab and go snacks. Easy to pack in lunch boxes and for road trips.


I made several origami paper balloons out of parchment paper and wax paper.*


And, I decorated the parchment paper ones with colored pencils. **


I inflated the balloons and placed them onto a baking sheet. I filled the balloons 1/2-2/3 with cake batter. ***


I baked the cakes for 25-30 minutes. Some of the cake batter had bubbled out of the tops. I was able to peel off the bubbled over cake bits and clean up the paper.


VoilĂ ! I made individually wrapped cake squares! Like I said, this was really fun! You should give it a try!

Notes:
*I used 7.5 inches squares of parchment paper and 6 inch squares of wax paper. They both worked fine.

**The wax paper cannot be decorated. It is just too slick. I found that colored pencil and ball point ink pens were the only things that work on parchment paper. The pencil will eventually rub off after baking, but it stays on for a while. I tried markers and crayons with no success.

***I put cake batter into a plastic freezer bag that had a small hole cut in one corner. I used this to pipe cake batter in through the hole on the top of the paper balloons.





4 comments:

Sarah said...

Absolutely adorable! This is such a clever idea. I will have to tuck this idea away for my little one's birthday. : )

Sunshine Country said...

It looks like you had fun making these, and decorating them with the colored pencils! Thanks for sharing!

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you for the comment, Sunshine Country! I think they were definitely worth the effort! :)

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you for the comment, Sarah! I hope you get to try making them someday. My little boy was really excited to have cake squares. He liked watching me fold the paper balloons, and helping with the cake batter, and especially unwrapping his cake pieces. :)