Wednesday, July 3, 2019

The Wonderful Pineapple Weed!

I just learned, this month, that Pineapple Weed is Wild Chamomile!
I have long loved the scent of Pineapple Weed. Years before I knew the plant even had a name I would pick a bud whenever I passed a patch in the driveway, give it a pinch and smell the sweet aroma. The fragrance is so fruity and tropical.


I have tried for a few years to grow Chamomile, only being successful this year. I noticed that my Chamomile plants looked uncannily like Pineapple Weed. So, I decided to do some reading about Pineapple Weed. One of the first things that I came across is, that Pineapple Weed is, in fact, Wild Chamomile. I was super excited, because I get excited over these kinds of things. :)
Now I have been going out and picking Pineapple Weed buds every few days to dry for tea. I really enjoy Chamomile tea. The flavor of Chamomile is unique to that herb. I brewed a cup of Pineapple Weed tea and was very happy to find that it tasted just like Chamomile tea. It is indeed Wild Chamomile. :)

2 comments:

Emily said...

What a neat thing to learn! I recognized the plant in your picture, but I never knew it’s name, let alone that it is wild camomile! On our walk last night, I looked and found we have a lot growing in our gravel driveway as well as yard. I picked a bud for the first time to smell. :) You are right, they do small good! Thanks for the interesting post!

Sunshine Country said...

I had never heard of Pineapple Weed until you mentioned it. :) I'm not sure if we have it growing in our area - it doesn't look familiar to me. I should do a little more researching what type of things are growing here, it would be nice to know which plants are edible! There are only a few plants that I can easily recognize. As we were driving home through Missouri, I noticed lots of Chicory blooming along the roadsides - I've always thought it was pretty, and wish we had some here. :) We have the wild Sunflowers blooming here now, which I always enjoy seeing!