Tuesday, August 18, 2020

The Best Hard "Boiled" Eggs Are Actually Steamed


I learned, through an America's Test Kitchen video, that steaming hard boiled eggs is the best method. After trying it out several times I have to agree. I never have any trouble peeling the eggs any more. The shells practically slip off. And the eggs taste great. They are bouncy but not rubbery, and the yolks crumble a little but they aren't dry or powdery.

I just put about an inch of water in the bottom of a sauce pot. (Until it comes up to the bottom of the steamer basket.)

I put the steamer basket in the pot, and fill it with eggs.

Then I place the pan over medium/high heat with the lid on. Once I see steam leaking out from under the lid I set the timer for 10 minutes.

As soon as the timer goes off, I remove the pan from the stove and drain the hot water into the sink. Then I fill the pot, which still contains the eggs, with cold water from the faucet. When the eggs are cool enough to handle I peel them, easy peasy! The eggs are ready for eggs salad or Devilled eggs or a healthy snack. I like to eat my hard boiled eggs cut in half with a little mayonnaise and mustard dipping sauce.



I really like this adjustable steamer basket! I had been looking for one for a long time. I came across this one at a garage sale last year for 25¢. I have used it a lot! It is definitely worth more than a quarter to me. :) I have cooked cubed, butternut squash in just 10 minutes. I have steamed diced potatoes for potato salad. This little steamer basket saves so much water and, because steam is hotter than boiling water, it cooks things much more quickly. 


4 comments:

JoAnna said...

This is interesting to know - I've never heard of steaming eggs this way before! Is a steamer basket like this adjustable for any size of pan? I haven't seen one like it before that I remember.

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you for the comment, Sunshine Country! I can use this steamer basket in my Dutch oven down to a 2 quart pot.

Haley Smith said...

Cool! I only ever soft boil my eggs, it takes about 8 minutes and the yolks are still liquid in the very middle, because I hate chalky crumbly boiled egg yolks. Yours’s look really good though! I use vinegar in my water and that helps them peel without falling apart.

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you for the comment, Haley! Do you drop the eggs into boiling water and time from that point, or do they go in when the water is first put on the heat? I think I would like soft boiled eggs some time, but I don't want to be guessing at how to do it and end up with slimy whites, too.