Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Pattern Review: Butterick 6483

 


I am excited to be writing my first ever pattern review! I have sewn several dresses using this pattern. I chose view G&H.


Did I make any changes?

I did make a few changes. 

1. I sewed the trim onto the collar differently. I did not like the way that the pattern instructions require the collar trim to be attached. 

The trim sewn according to the instructions.

It looks terrible from the underside.

I sewed the trim onto the collar seam when I assembled the collar.

This lace is sewn into the collar seam.

It is much cleaner on the underside.


2. I made the sleeve casings a little wider.


The original casings just don't fit a real baby. My babies are not even that chunky and the original sleeve casings are much too tight. I recommend adding 1 inch to the sleeve casings when you cut out the pattern. Your sleeve won't have as many gatherings, but it still has enough.

3. I did not make a placket opening in the skirt. I never like how those gape open, and I thought the bodice back opening provided enough room to put the dress over the head and get the arms in the sleeves.

I installed snaps at the back opening instead of buttons and button holes. 


4. The pattern calls for a 3 inch hem. I only did a 1 inch hem. My little girl needed the extra length.



Is the pattern easy to follow?

Yes, this pattern is easy to follow. The instructions are clear and the construction steps are in a very good order.


This pattern even directs that each seam that is going to be left exposed be finished. It doesn't just say at the end of the pattern, "Oh, by the way, all exposed seams should be finished." No, this pattern puts it right in there when the step is finished, "Now stitch again 1/4" from the seam allowance." I appreciated that.

What material did I use?

I used a few different cotton fabrics from my stash. Some of them were probably quilting cottons.

I was excited to use this vintage material for one of the dresses.
My sister gave it to me years ago.
I have been saving it for a special project.
I didn't have matching bias tape for all the collars. 


I thought it would be fun to use contrasting colors for the bias tape.




Would I recommend this pattern?
I was very happy with this pattern. I plan to use many more times. I definitely recommend it to others!

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Thank you for the wonderful review. I just adore your sewing projects and think of how beautiful your daughter must feel wearing them.

Sunshine Country said...

The dresses all turned out so cute. 💗 I admire your diligence in getting so many of them made, that would have taken me quite a while to get finished.

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you for the comment, Jennifer! I am glad you enjoy seeing my sewing projects. I enjoy seeing all the knitting projects you do! :)

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you for the comment, Sunshine Country! I don't think I would have been able to finish the dresses if you had not come up early of "her" birthday! :)

Melissa Huffman said...

I love them! I also love that you know how to make adjustments to a pattern to make it work best for you!