Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Tomato Soup Recipe!

 

I have two Mary's (Maries, Marys?) to thank for this recipe. And they are both from Texas! 

Mary Stephens from The Cotton Apron shared a video recipe of this Tomato Soup on her blog from Mary's Nest YouTube channel.
Mary from Mary's Nest gave lots of helpful details and hints in her video. It is a deep dive cooking lesson. She also has a page on her website with all the information in written form. You can check it out HERE. I highly recommend her video/article. She goes over the particulars of each ingredient and why this combination has great mouth feel, balanced acidity, and can be soothing in the belly.

I am so glad that I came across her knowledge. I had never followed a tomato soup recipe before watching her video. I am really embarrassed to admit this; whenever I used to serve grilled cheese sandwiches I would blend up a jar of plain canned tomatoes and heat it up in a sauce pot. That was it. No onions. No garlic. No stock. 
No more! The recipe I am sharing here is my favorite Tomato Soup now and I am never going back. Thank you Mary and Mary! :)

Tomato Soup Recipe

1/4 cup Butter
2 Yellow Onions, Chopped
4 Garlic Cloves, Minced
1/2 tsp. Salt
Dash Red Pepper Flakes
1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
1 TBS. Sugar
2 28 oz. Cans Whole Plum Tomatoes
16 oz. Chicken Broth or Stock

In a large pot saute the onions and garlic in the butter.
Add the spices, sugar, tomatoes and broth.
Bring to a slow simmer. Simmer on low, covered with lid for 45 minutes.
Using an emersion blender blend to desired consistency, or carefully ladle into a blender and blend in batches until smooth.
Enjoy!


I did try the Cream of Tomato Soup version by adding 1/2 cup Heavy Cream at the end, but, surprisingly, my family prefers the non-cream version.

2 comments:

Sunshine Country said...

This sounds like a good recipe! Ours that we have always used includes dill and cream cheese. I've always liked it, but the creamy part of it isn't a favorite with my brothers. Maybe they would like this version better.

Jennifer said...

Your soup sounds lovely and I have gone to find that youtube channel. It is so nice to discover new ways of making things.