Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Peasant Dress From Farmhouse On Boone

 I am sure many of you have heard of the blog Farmhouse On Boone by Lisa Bass

I came across this toddler dress tutorial from the Farmhouse On Boone YouTube channel.

That was several years ago, before I had a daughter to sew for, but
 I saved the video hoping that I would have a use for it later. :) 
This dress was really easy to put together. 
I whipped this one up over the course of two days.

I created my own detail on the bodice. It is different than the one in the tutorial.
The technique I used on the formation on the neckline casing was slightly different than the suggested casing from Lisa's demonstration.
I serged the raw edge and only folded it over once to make the casing for the elastic. I was afraid of my casing being too stiff if I folded it over twice, per the instructions in the video. The way I did it is less finished, but I am happy with how much the neckline scrunches up with the elastic inside. 
I added a few decorative embroidery stitches.
I sewed in an attached under-skirt. 
I had some pretty fabric with an eyelet finish on one of the selvedge edges that is so perfect for this application.
This dress turned out a little snug. I hope to make another one soon. I plan to tweak the size a bit. In the next post I can include the measurements that I end up going with. 
The sizes Lisa gives on her blog are for a 12 month size and a 24 month size. HERE is her tutorial. I think she did a great job making the explanations simple and easy to understand.

3 comments:

Sunshine Country said...

I am looking forward to trying this pattern when I find the time! I have an apron project to do first, so I'm not sure how soon I will be able to. I really like the lace and how you did the top of this one!

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you for the comment, Sunshine Country! I know the feeling of having more projects than time. :)

Jennifer said...

Such a beautiful little dress! I also enjoy that blog and some of her videos. Great tutorial for sewing!