Monday, July 10, 2023

Selling My Hair Again

Here's an unusual way to make a few dollars.

I grow my hair out really long and then cut it once every few years and sell the growth. 

When I first started doing this I could wait 3 years between hair cuts. As I have gotten older my rate of growth has started to slow. My hair is thinner than it used to be, too. 
(There are other factors besides age, though; diet, hormones, multiple pregnancies, treating my hair a little rough,...) 
Honestly, my hair growth has not slacked off that drastically. I used to get 6 inches in a year and now I get 5 inches in a year.

June was the month I wanted to cut my hair. 
The buyer who bought the last hair that I sold commented that he would be interested in buying again. I told him that it was going to be 4 years before I cut my hair again, but I would let him know when the time came.
Having saved his shipping address from 2019, I wrote him a letter and told him my asking price and that I had some pictures and videos of my hair that I could share via email in order that he could see the product.
He was happy that I had remembered to contact him and he said he would buy my hair again.
Score for me! $150 without having to pay any ebay fees.


Ways to get a high price for hair:

These factors can help your hair be the best quality possible and, therefore, fetch a premium price.
Keep your hair in good condition. I like to wear my hair in a bun all the time. Other protective styles include braids, French braids, French knot, Chignon bun, and Heidi braids to name a few. 

Hair is weaker when it is wet. Waiting to brush and detangle your hair until it is dry can help you avoid unnecessary breakage.
Keep your hair away from heat. Curlers, straighteners, and blow-dryers can all weaken your hair.
Minimize the use of chemicals on your hair. Things like dyes, bleaches, and perms can negatively effect the strength and texture of your hair.
Take good care of your health. Nonsmokers and non-drinkers are able to get a higher price for their hair.

I hope these tips help, if you're interested in trying this with your hair.


2 comments:

AAC14 said...

I have a question...what does the person who purchases hair use it for? Is it for making wigs?

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you for the comment, AAC14.
Real human hair is used to make wigs, hair pieces, and extensions. Real human hair is also used for hyper realistic wax statues and dolls like reborn dolls. Those are the uses that I am aware of, but there may be more ways that real human hair is used.