Monday, December 11, 2023

My New Kitchen!

We moved! The house we moved into is a little bit of a project. The kitchen had been gutted prior to us moving to the house. Mr. In the Mid-west rigged up a sturdy little kitchen for me. It has a nice large section of counter top, a refrigerator, oven and sink. He salvaged one upper cabinet for me and built rugged shelves under the counter top. The whole thing is very robust and functional.

I decided to make some curtains in lieu of cabinet doors. I went shopping in my fabric stash and found two kitchen-ish fabrics. I didn't have enough of either one to make all the curtains out of the same fabric. I had to use both and I like them both, so, I am happy! 

After hemming my curtain panels I installed snaps on the corners. I screwed the mate snap pieces into the wood. I had to rummage around in a junk box for screws. I was able to find screws that worked perfectly and all matched!

Before I could get all the curtains put up, disaster struck. My two year old pulled down on the top of the curtain and the snap ripped right off of the fabric. I was so devastated!

At first I thought, "This is why I can't have anything nice." And I had a good deal of self-pity. Then it dawned on me that instead of framing this problem like: this goes to show that children tear up everything, I could frame it like: this goes to show that I should have reenforced the fabric with a couple layers using snaps of that style.


And, the latter is a fact. These types of snaps need a heavier fabric or lighter material needs to be enforced. Before the day was over several more of the snaps had ripped through the fabric just in normal use. 

I could kick myself! Why didn't I know better? 

I thought using snaps would be brilliant and I hate giving up on the idea. Mr. In The Midwest suggested using Velcro and I think that it will work better with my fabric. I will be patching the holes in the curtains that I have made. Then I will see what I can do to attach Velcro.



2 comments:

AAC14 said...

Congrats on the move! So sorry that happened to the fabric. So frustrating. I have an idea. Maybe some cafe curtain rods could be attached to the frames of the cabinets, under the counter tops. Then you could attach the clip style curtain rings to the fabric so they could slide over the rods just like curtains. I've seen that done on open cabinetry and it looks nice and decorative but is also functional.

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you, AAC14! I appreciate the suggestion. That idea would probably work. I'll look up cafe curtain rods to see what they are. Since I already have the Velcro, I will try it first.