Friday, October 9, 2026

My Mother's Chocolate Cake | Recipe

 This is a moist, fudge-y, chocolate cake made with plenty of butter!

My Mother's Chocolate Cake Recipe 

4oz. Baking Chocolate, Chopped (I used 3/4c. of cocoa powder instead without adding any extra shortening or oil)
1 1/2c. Unsalted Butter (3 sticks) (I used salted butter)
1c. Boiling Water
2 Eggs
1 3/4c. Sugar
1 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract 
2 1/2c. Flour
2 tsp. Baking Powder
2 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Salt
1c. Hot Coffee
Melt butter and chocolate over medium heat with water. Remove from heat.

Beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla until creamy.

Add chocolate mixture to the egg mixture.
Sift together dry ingredients and stir them into the batter.
Add coffee. Mix to combine.
Pour batter into two 8" greased and floured cake pans.
Bake at 350°F. for 25-30 minutes.
Remove from oven and cool on wrack 10 minutes before turning out of cake pans.
These cake layers were so fragile. I wrapped them in plastic and foil and froze them. Before they had a chance to thaw I assembled the layers. I made a 2 ingredient dark chocolate mousse to go between the layers. I followed Ann Reardon's video instructions.
The original frosting recipe that came with the recipe is as follows:

Frosting:

1 1/2c. Softened Unsalted Butter
2 TBS. Milk
1 1/3 lbs. Powdered Sugar
2 oz. Baking Chocolate, Melted
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract 

Whip together with an electric mixer.

Now for the funny story that goes with this cake recipe:
My grandma found this recipe in a newspaper. The title of the recipe read "My Mother's Chocolate Cake." My grandma clipped it out and mailed it to my mom. She said, "With a title like 'My Mother's Chocolate Cake' my daughter better have a copy." even though my grandma had never made the recipe. That's her sense of humor. It is a very tasty chocolate cake. My mom made it once when my grandma was visiting so that at least she would know what a good recipe she had passed on. 

My Mother's Chocolate Cake with
dark chocolate mousse and butter cream frosting
dyed with reduce beet juice.

No comments: