Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Recipe For Breakfast Sausage Upon Request


I found this recipe for breakfast sausage at Queen of the Red Double Wide via a Google search. (She also has a delicious Italian Sausage recipe.) I was looking for a homemade seasoning blend for sausage because MSG is in so many of the store brands. We try to avoid MSG, not only because is it really bad for our bodies, but also because my husband is allergic to the substance. I increased the amount of red pepper flakes in my version of breakfast sausage seasoning. I would still consider this blend to be mild, but if you are sensitive to spices you may want to try 1/4 tsp. of red pepper flakes, (as the original recipe calls for), to begin with.


Breakfast Sausage Seasoning

1 1/2 tsp. rubbed sage
1/2 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. black pepper
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. parsley flakes
3/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

Mix the spices together. Add the spices to 2 pounds of ground meat, preferably pork, (ground turkey or beef will work), mix thoroughly. Chill for a couple hours to allow flavours to blend.



2 comments:

A Heart of Praise said...

This sounds easy and really good, thanks for posting the recipe!

Sister in the Mid-west said...

A Heart of Praise,
I was impressed with the flavour of this sausage the first time I tried it. It is really easy and compares well to a store bought breakfast sausage. Thanks for the comment!