Saturday, September 30, 2017

The Little House, Does Anyone Remember This Picture Book?

During our weekly trip to the library I found The Little House and checked it out. 


I remember this picture book from my childhood. I loved the story. The very nature of the tale evokes nostalgia.

For those who are unfamiliar with the book I will give you a short summary. I will share some pictures, too, hoping not to violate copy right laws.


The little house was a sturdy home built out in the country a long, long time ago. The man who built the house said that the house could never be sold and his great-great grand-children's, great-great grand-children would live there. The seasons came and went. The children grew up. The apple trees died and had to be replaced. Way off in the distance the little house could see the glow of the city lights at night. Sometimes she wondered what it would be like to live in the city.


Very slowly the city was built up around the little house. First came automobiles, then the road, then neighborhoods, then shops and tenement houses, and eventually the subway and El train. The tenement houses were torn down and skyscrapers were built. The little house was very sad and lonely. No one lived in her any more. She missed living in the country. She missed the field of daisies and apple trees and seeing the stars at night.


One day the great- great grand-daughter of the man who built the house walked by the little house. She didn't rush past. She stopped, and said, "This looks like the house that my grandmother grew up in."


The great-great grand-daughter had the house moved way out into the country. Once again the little house was lived in, and she could watch the seasons change. And they all lived happily ever after.

Well, that turned out to be not such a short summary. I hope that I have conveyed the charm of The Little House. 

We never owned this story when I was a child, and we never checked it out from the library. This was one of the books in the Dr.'s office waiting room. That is where I read The Little House. Every time I was in the waiting room I remember finding that book to read.

Do you remember this book from your childhood? My husband did. I was pretty excited about it when I got home from the library. In my enthusiasm I was like, "Guess what I found at the library, The Little House!" Mr. In The Mid-west had fond memories of the book, so he shared in my excitement.

For those who would like to find out more about The Little House here is the publishing information:

The Little House
Written and illustrated by Virginia Lee Burton
Copyright 1942 by Virginia Lee Demetrios
Copyright renewed 1969 by George Demetrios
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company


2 comments:

Haley Smith said...

I remember it! From Doc's office, as well, of course ;) Since I've been back with my girls a couple of times I'm sad to report I don't think it's still there or in sure I'd have read it to them.

Unknown said...

I will add it to Grandma's library box. I enjoy that story too!