Saturday, October 7, 2017

"More Cookies, Please!"


Over the past month I have been a "Cookie Jar Mama".  What is a "Cookie Jar Mama"? It is just what I decided to call those kind of mother who always have a full cookie jar and let their children (or grandchildren) have free range of the cookies.


I don't actually have a cookie jar. What I did was bake a couple batches of cookies and put them into containers in the freezer. Boy In The Mid-west knows where they are located. He can open the freezer by himself and get cookies whenever he wants.

I have not had the heart or resolve to stop him. He doesn't spoil his appetite with cookies before meals. Nor does he pig out on cookies. So far, I have no problems with him helping himself to cookies.


Most nights he wakes up in the middle of the night and goes to the kitchen to fetch a cookie as a midnight snack. I really think it is kind of cute. :) He is just two years old, but he toddles in there, opens the freezer, and pulls a cookie out like a tiny grown-up.

The night before last we were out of cookies. BMW didn't know what to do. How could we be out of cookies?! I told him we would make some "tomorrow".

Yesterday I baked a batch of chocolate chip cookies and peanut butter cookies to restock the freezer.

While I was taking cookies off of baking sheet, BMW was sitting across the counter from me eating a chocolate chip cookie. He looked at me with a smile on his chocolate-y face and said, "Thank you for make cookies!"

Awww. "You're welcome, Son!"

If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him? 
Matthew 7:11 (KJV)

4 comments:

A Heart of Praise said...

I had to chuckle about BMW getting up in the night to help himself to a cookie! :) I've never always had cookies on hand, but it's not a bad idea! My children are constantly asking for food and snacks and having cookies like this in the freezer might help when I don't have much else to give them. Does freezing help so there are not as many crumbs? With six littles, really crumbly things aren't much fun having to constantly sweep up after them. :b

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you for the comment, Heart of Praise.
I am sorry to report that freezing does not help to reduce crumbs and I do find "trails" left by BMW. I can only imagine that crumb management with as many Littles as you have is a big task. ;)

Unknown said...

Heart of Praise you might consider friendship bread, or the like. It is dense and we used it for handy snacks without so much crumb issues as cookies. Cookies in a ziplock bag for each child helps too since some like to stretch out their snack and can do so without leaving it somewhere inconvenient or to tempt another. I am not sure this eating cookies anytime is a good idea but it is treating others as I would like to be treated for sure! Cookies are a big weakness of mine 😋 It would be possibly a great motivator though to say 'clean up and be ready for a treat! Or a reward for good behaviors.

A Heart of Praise said...

Sister in the Mid-west, Aw, to bad freezing doesn't help! I don't mind crumbs so much in the summertime because most times I tell the children they have to eat treats like cookies, popcorn, etc. out on our patio, we practically live outside in the summer anyway and they love it, but now that it's started to get colder we are back to eating inside all the time and extra messes are not welcome. Lol

Thanks for the suggestions Mrs. Huffman! I have never made friendship bread. I do remember when I was young that someone gave my Mom the bread starter and I loved it! I can't remember having it more than once though. I'm going to look up the recipe! Great idea to put the cookies in ziplock bags in the freezer and use for rewards and motivation!