Tuesday, February 4, 2020

A Right Spirt

This is the lesson I heard in Sunday School this week. I found it to be very applicable in my life. I am posting the notes that were in the hand-out.

A Right Spirit

Psalm 51:10
Create in me a clean heart, O God; 
and renew a right spirit within me.

The word 'spirit' speaks of an attitude which is portrayed through your spirit, your expressions, functions, or conduct.

One can have the right beliefs and hold the right stance without having the right spirit.

Malachi 2:15 
And did not he make one? Yet had he the residue of the spirit. And wherefore one? That he might seek a godly seed. Therefore take head to your spirit, and let none deal treacherously against the wife of his youth.

  • We are to keep a close watch on our spirit towards our spouse.



1Corinthians 6:20
For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

  • We are to glorify God, not only in our body, but in our spirit.



Proverbs 15:1-2
A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.
The tongue of the wise useth knowledge aright: but the mouth of fools poureth out foolishness.

  • We need a right spirit when dealing with others.



What was it about Daniel that impressed the king?

Daniel 6:3
Then this Daniel was preferred above the presidents and princes, because an excellent spirit was in him; and the king thought to set him over the whole realm.

What was it that Elisha wanted from Elijah?

2 Kings 2:9
And it came to pass, when they were gone over, that Elijah said into Elisha, Ask what I shall do for thee, before I be taken away from thee. And Elisha said, I pray thee, let a double portion of thy spirit be upon me.

What did Paul pray for the Galatians, for Philemon, and for Timothy?

Galatians 6:18
Brethren, the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen.

Philemon 1:25
The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen.

2 Timothy 4:22
The Lord Jesus Christ be with thy spirit. Grace be with you. Amen.

What did David pray for in Psalm 51:10?

Psalm 51:10
Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

A Right Spirit:
I. COMES FROM GOD.
II. MUST BE PRECEDED BY A CLEAN HEART.
III. COMES FROM A DESIRE TO BE LIKE CHRIST.
IV. THE SPIRIT OF MAN REVEALS THE EXTENT THAT HIS HEART IS IN TUNE WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT.


The fruits of the Holy Spirit are love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance.

Galatians 5:22+23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Let us not have a fault finding spirit, a critical spirit, a condescending spirit. 

Let us be separated unto God, not merely separated from the world.

The closer we follow God the more of The Holy Spirit will show in our spirit.

2 comments:

Sunshine Country said...

Thank you for sharing this. It is something I have struggled with many times recently, and have often needed the reminder...so I appreciated being able to read this.

Sister in the Mid-west said...

You're welcome, Sunshine Country! I know this lesson applied to my attitude, especially that Sunday morning. I'm glad you appreciated it, as well. Thank you for commenting!