Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Swedish Bullar Recipe!


 This is a very good recipe that a good friend of mine gave me over 10 years ago. She had made this pastry as a 4-h project. I thought they were amazing! For my birthday, the same year, she gave me a batch of Swedish Bullar that she had baked along with the recipe written out on a few index cards. :)

10 years had gone by, and I still had never made Swedish Bullar. What was the hold up? I had never bought ground cardamom. This winter when I bought ground cardamom at the Indian Grocery store to make Tikka Masala, one of my first thoughts was, "Now I can make Swedish Bullar!" 


I have made Swedish Bullar a couple times now. I tweaked the recipe a little bit from the original from my friend: I cut back on the butter in the dough, I added more spices, and fold the layers in an envelope fold because I think it looks pretty.

Swedish Bullar

Dough:

1 tsp. Sugar

1/4 cup Warm Water

2 1/2 tsp. Yeast

3/4 cup Milk

1/2 cup Butter

3 TBS. Sugar

1/2 tsp. Ground Cardamom

1 Egg

3 3/4 cup All Purpose Flour

In a mixing bowl, combine 1 tsp. sugar, warm water, and yeast. Let sit for 10 minutes or until yeast begins to bubble.

Meanwhile, in a sauce pan melt the butter. Add the milk and heat until just warm but not hot. 

Pour the milk and butter into the yeast mixture. Add egg, sugar, cardamom, and flour. Beat with dough hook until combined. Knead on a floured surface for 1 minute. Place in a lightly greased bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.

Filling:

1/2 cup Sugar

2 TBS. Ground Cinnamon

1 tsp. Ground Cardamom

1/4 cup Soft Butter

For The Baking Sheet:

1/4 cup Butter

5-8 TBS. Sugar

In a bowl mix the sugar for the filling, cinnamon, cardamom, and soft butter to form a paste. Roll the dough into a 20×15 inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Spread the filling paste on two thirds of the dough.


Fold the undressed third of dough up onto the filling.


Fold the remaining third of dough down over the folded up section, finishing the envelope fold.


Roll the filled and folded dough with a rolling pin to press the dough together. Cut the dough into 1 inch strips.


Hold one end of each strip and, while stretching, twist in opposite directions. Coil the twisted strip around your finger to create a tightly rolled bun. Tuck the end through the middle hole for a knot type bun.

Meanwhile, melt the 1/4 of butter for the baking sheet in the oven on a large baking sheet with edges. Sprinkle 5-8 TBS. of sugar over the melted butter. 

Place the coiled buns on the baking sheet about 1 1/2 -2 inches apart. Let rise for 30 minutes. Bake in preheated oven at 400° F. for 10-12 minutes.

Icing:*

2 cups Powdered Sugar

1 tsp. Vanilla

3 drops Butter Flavoring

1 1/2 TBS. Milk

Mix everything together and drizzle over warm rolls.

*I only use a quarter of this icing recipe for one batch of Bullar. 

10 comments:

Sunshine Country said...

These sound so good! Thank you for sharing the recipe!

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you for the comment, Sunshine Country! You are welcome! I hope you like them, if you give them a try. :)

Amy said...

Mmm! Sounds and looks delicious! I definitely want to try making these.

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you, Amy! I hope you get to give Swedish Bullar a try. :)

Melissa Huffman said...

I just bought cardamom and I didn’t even know why! Maybe subconsciously I remembered it from your Tikka Marsala recipe? I can’t wait to give this a try.

Haley Smith said...

I don’t remember this.. it seems like an Anna Harris thing, perhaps?
The sound good... and I do have cardamom..

A. Hartlaub said...

I’m so glad this recipe is still being used and loved!

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you for the comment, Mommy! I don't have many uses for cardamom, but this is definitely a good one!

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you for the comment, Haley!
It was Aliesha! How could you forget? They were so good! :)

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you for the recipe, Aliesha! It is for sure a hit in my family. :)