Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Oil Lamps!

 These oil lamps were my Grandma's. They used to live on her mantle above her fireplace. They never struck me as pretty, in fact I thought they were pretty ugly, to be honest. 

I have an affinity for anything old-fashioned and reminiscent of pioneer days, though. When my Mother offered me Grandma's oil lamp set I was excited to receive them, even though they were ugly. They are my first set of oil lamps! I couldn't wait to try them out! 

I began to wash them in warm, mildly soapy water. The dimpled surface had years of dust packed so hard that it took a scrub brush to loosen. And the  orange color wasn't part of the glass or finish, just layers of film from kerosene. Once they started to come clean they actually were quite pretty! The details on the stand part had some pretty swirls and scrolls!


After all the scrubbing they are a beautiful set!

I watched some videos on YouTube to learn how to set them up properly. I bought lamp oil from Walmart to fuel them with. It is supposed to be low/no smoke and odor free. Once the reservoirs we're full of fuel and the burners and wicks assembled, the wicks had to be allowed to soak up fuel for at least an hour before lighting.

We have lit the lamps and used them a few times in the evening. I am a little wary of keeping them out for regular use. I am afraid they will get broken. I don't have a mantle or shelf to place them up high when not being used. I may have to store them in the shed while we live in this house, and only pull them out for power outages or special occasions.

Do you have oil lamps? How do you use them: power outages, special occasions, regularly?

Matthew 5:15
 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel,
 but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. 

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Those are beautiful oil lamps! I love those kind of lamps and have a couple as well. We just use them for power outages, although they'd make nice light for special dinners to. I keep mine up on my one hutch in the kitchen.

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you for the comment, Jennifer! I know, they are so pretty! The soft light is so peaceful. I wish we could use them more often.

Sarah said...

What a special treasure! I love that particular style of oil lamp. You did a terrific job cleaning the lamps, they look new!

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you for the comment, Sarah! Yes,they are a treasure. I can think of Grandma every time I see them. :)