Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Sewing Tea Bags!

 I recently sewed some reusable tea bags.

Some organza type material on a little girl's dress had gotten ripped. I cut the organza over-layer off of the dress. The dress can still be worn. I had the idea to use parts of the organza to make tea bags. 


I cut some various sized rectangles.

I folded them in half and stitched a French Seam on the two side edges.

To stitch a French Seam you sew the first seam on the outside of the tea bag.


The next step is: turn the tea bag inside out and stitch the seam on the inside, completely enclosing the raw edge. This is a good way to finish seams on really unravel-y fabric. 

I rolled the top edge over twice and stitched it down to make a casing for the draw strings.


I wanted to put two loops of draw strings through the top, going in opposition to one another like this:


I used a sharp needle to make a hole in the casing on one corner. Then I used a larger blunt needle to widen the hole and thread the ribbon through the casing.


I pull the needle with ribbon half way through the casing.


Then I flipped the tea bag to the other side, and pushed the needle and ribbon back through the same hole and down the other side of the casing.




I tied the two ends of the ribbon together with a single knot.

And, repeated the ribbon threading with another ribbon on the opposite corner.


Check out all my cute billowing tea bags in a variety of shapes and sizes.






4 comments:

Jennifer said...

This is a lovely idea of creating tea bags!!! Re-useable to and that is great!

Sunshine Country said...

I have some reusable tea bags, but they've been put away in a place that I never seem to remember to use them! I'm afraid I wasn't as industrious as you to make my own either. :) I need to pull them out and actually give them a try now that your post has reminded me about them!

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you for the comment, Jennifer! I have really liked using my new tea bags. They are great! :)

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you for the comment, Sunshine Country! Re-usable tea bags are a boon wether you make them yourself or purchase them ready made. I know mine are going to get a lot of use! :)