Friday, June 16, 2023

The Rainbow By Henry Beer (Poem)

 

The Rainbow
By Henry Beer

My lad exclaimed with wonder,
As storm clouds had passed by,
"O father, see the rainbow
Up yonder in the sky!"

The storm of summer evening
Had passed to eastern skies.
We saw the rainbow's beauty
Displayed before our eyes.

And thus I found occasion,
In reverent tones and low,
To tell my lad the story
Of that first wondrous bow.

I told him of the waters
Which covered sea and land;
How God preserved the righteous
With His almighty hand.

I spoke about the rainbow
Which God had placed on high,
With colors most majestic,
Alluring to the eye.

The bow has seven colors
Which we can well behold;
Of yellow, red, green, violet,
Blue, indigo, and gold.

The rainbow gives assurance
According to God's word,
That the world by mighty deluge
Ne'er again shall be destroyed.

As children see the beauty
In the color of the bow,
Should not we esteem His promise
As in faith we older grow?

For the rainbow is a symbol
Of the beauty there on high,
And a token of his promise
For a home beyond the sky.




Page 137 of My Garden Of Verse

No comments: