Friday, January 5, 2024

The Family Man By Henry Beer | Poem


Much of what Mr. Beer says regarding fatherhood I relate to as a mother, too. Being a parent teaches you things that no other experiences completely match. Children are all different and you never quite have everything figured out. No matter the difficulties, the rewards of  loving and nurturing children are well worth the efforts. Children are so precious!



The Family Man

Full many lessons we may learn
From various walks of life,
In business, home, or market place,
Amid earth's toil and strife.
I've studied in the common schools,
The higher schools as well,
I have a little learning, too,
I think I'm safe to tell.

But since I am a family man,
New problems come to view,
I have some strange perplexities,
Each day brings them anew.
The learning I have found in books
Is insufficient here.
If we were but a Solomon,
The way would seem quite clear.

Each child is precious to our heart,
They make a lively school.
To govern then in proper ways,
I find no common rule.
Some will respond with tender words,
And others must be shown;
Some will together work and play,
Some wish to be alone.

And precious lessons I have learned
From all these girls and boys.
A home where children are not found,
Had missed most precious joys.
Though some may covet wealth and gain,
Some revel in earth's strife,
I only want a little home,
With peaceful family life.

The mother and the father both
Must mutual burdens bear;
In all the trials of family life,
They mutually must share.
'Tis not until out children grow
To youthful days and years,
That we ourselves can understand
Our parents' cares and tears.

As we must learn to know and teach
Each child at every turn,
So have I in my family life
Some precious lessons learned.
The gift of patience, tolerance,
To love, instruct and plan-
To learn the art of compromise
Becomes a family man.

And since we see, and understand,
And only know in part,
May He who loves each child of yore
Still come and rule their heart.
When father, mother, children, all
In loving ties are bound,
Of all the joys on earth I know
None sweeter here are found.

By Henry Beer
My Garden Of Verse
Page 181-182

No comments: