Friday, August 7, 2026

This Blue Dress Took 3 Years!


 I cut this dress out back in August 2023. This January(2026) I pulled out the pieces to start working on the dress.


This is how I put in a centered zipper. I find the best results are achieved when I baste the zipper in with a spiraling zigzag stitch that holds the zipper teeth directly on the seam.

It turned out pretty good on the first time. I didn't have to do any stitch ripping. Yay!

I usually put an invisible zipper in this pattern, but I didn't find one right away so I went forward with the centered zipper. Sometimes you've got to keep chugging and not get derailed on the details.
I tried machine sewing the button holes. They were awful. I had to take them all out and hand stitch the button holes.

Much better! 
I also added 2 more buttons because I had smaller buttons than the pattern called for. I had to change the placement of the button holes to add the extra 2 buttons.
Because this dress took me so long to finish I had gotten it soiled dragging it around from sewing station to sewing station: from the kitchen table, to the living room, to the van for road trip sewing sessions, to the picnic table. I hope the spots come out.

This is after the wash.... Not too bad. Not too bad.




I see some issues with the fit. 

I'm pretty sure I need to learn how to do a full bust adjustment. I can see some pull lines and the waistline is riding up in the front. Those are signs that I need a full bust adjustment. I have watched how-to videos and read tutorials, but I am still super intimidated to try customizing a pattern.  
I have one more dress already cut and ready to sew. Since it is already cut out I am going to put off learning how to do a FBA yet again.

Have you ever had to adjust a pattern to fit your measurements? How did it turn out? Was it easy to learn?

These institutions don't seem too hard. 

If you want to see another dress that I made from this same pattern, check out this blog post from 2024.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your dress turned out wonderfully, and I enjoyed seeing details of its construction, such as putting in the zipper. I love this type of dress with a vintage vibe to it. I have never had to make a fit adjustment on a project, although I am not a super skilled seamstress. Stuff like that intimidates me. However, I've been working on a skirt for around 2 years, in little bits of time here and there. The biggest impediment to my sewing is lack of a dedicated sewing area. I sew at my dining table, which is frustrating because the room size and configuration just isn't ideal for cutting or sewing. A sewing room with a cutting table is my dream, but we don't have the space for it.
-Alyssa

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you, Alyssa! I'm glad you can see the vintage elements showing through. I like the look of vintage shirtwaist dresses and this dress has a lot of the elements I like.
Keep working on your skirt! Taking advantage of the little corners of time is the way to do it.
Oh! To have a sewing room would be a dream! I also sewing at my dining table. If we waited for ideal conditions, we would never start. That is why we have to just start where we are. In the words of Booker T. Washington, "Cast your bucket down where you are." If you aren't familiar with the context of that quote I highly recommend reading about his speech when he said that line. It is very encouraging especially considering the difficulties he faced were greater than anything I have to deal to with.
Happy sewing!