Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Measurement Unit Conversions For Baking


I am not sure how common these conversions are to people, in general, but I thought I would share them today.

My mother is the one that taught them to me. We used them for practicing our multiplication and division skills.
I grew up in a rather large family, eldest of 13, and became very proficient with multiplying tablespoons and converting them into cups and so on.. We were always having to multiply recipes several times.


It became quite fun to figure out how many teaspoons was equal to a 1/4 cup, etc...
Once I became married I had to do a lot more dividing of recipes than multiplying, and all of these conversions have been super handy to have committed to memory.





These Are The Conversions That I use Most Often :


1 1/2 teaspoons = 1/2 tablespoons

3 teaspoons = 1 tablespoon

6 teaspoons = 2 tablespoons

2 tablespoons = 1/8 cups

4 tablespoons = 1/4 cup

5 1/3 tablespoons Or 5 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon = 1/3 cup

16 tablespoons = 1 cup

2 cups = 1 pint

4 cups = 2 pints = 1 quart

8 cups = 2 quarts = 1/2 gallon 

 

 

 

 

I hope you are having a lovely day!



Wet Dahlia In  My Garden This Morning



3 comments:

Sunshine Country said...

I've used some of these conversions also, although I was never very good at it like it sounds like you are. I think the one I've used the most is 3 teaspoons = 3 tablespoons. There's no sense in measuring out 6 teaspoons when you could just do 2 tablespoons. :) The picture of the Dahlia is so pretty!

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you for your comment, Sunshine Country, and the complement of my flower. I started the dahlias from seed last year. They are blooming heavily this year. I wanted to take some better pictures , but I had our baby in a wrap and he was not happy. I will have to try to take some more pictures another day. :)

Sister in the Mid-west said...
This comment has been removed by the author.