Saturday, August 22, 2015

Try Something New: Week Six






 This is a rather rich cornbread, using 3 eggs and 1/3 cup of honey. 
I could easily taste the honey, which I thought was nice, but I generally don't like cornbread that is this sweet.



I wouldn't describe this cornbread as, "Light and Fluffy," I thought it was on the dense side, but it was quite moist.
This cornbread uses 1/2 cornmeal 1/2 whole wheat flour, and does not have a very corn-y flavor.

I think this cornbread was okay, but not great. It was a little too rich and bread-like for my taste.

5 comments:

A Heart of Praise said...

I like the idea of baking it in the skillet, I haven't done that much.

Sister in the Mid-west said...

The recipe did call for an iron skillet, but I would have used one any way. Cornbread just needs to be cooked in an iron skillet! :)

A Heart of Praise said...

I will definitely have to use a skillet next time I make cornbread then! :)

M. E. Stephens said...

I think I've only baked cornbread in an iron skillet once. I don't remember if the recipe called for it, or if the person who gave me the recipe said that was the best way. Anyway, I was worried that I'd forget and grab the handle while it was hot, and sure enough I did! I got a very painful burn from it. Needless to say, I don't bake in cast iron skillets much any more. :-/

My favorite cornbread recipe came from a lady in Louisiana and it calls for bacon grease as the oil. It sure tastes good but, I hardly ever make it any more. :-)

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Mrs. Stephens,
I am sorry about your burn! That would deter me from baking with iron skillets, too.
I grew up with cornbread being cooked in an iron skillet. That is why I think they just go together.
Using bacon grease in place of the oil sounds yummy. I may have to look for that in the next cornbread recipe that I try.