Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Lunch With Hubby (Poem)



Lunch with Hubby
By Darlene Miller

I canned a bunch of peaches,
And baked six loaves of bread.
I bandaged up the cow's tail
(No, I haven't lost my head!),
I made a batch of yogurt.....
Two whole gallons, don't you know?
It sure takes a lot of vittles
With six children on the grow!

I baked two cakes and iced them,
I do hope they'll taste alright!
'Cause we need to take them with us
To my brother's house tonight.
I filled up the ice cream freezer,
Then cranked till I was shot.
Yes, it took a lot of effort,
But we like that stuff a lot!

While the bread dough was a-rising,
And the jars were being filled,
Telephone commenced to ringing;
I'll admit I wasn't thrilled. 
But frustration turned to gladness,
And my heart cried, "Thanks a bunch!"
No, I can't turn down my husband
When he asks me out to lunch!

So I covered up the bread dough,
Stuck it in the fridge to keep;
Left the peaches on the counter,
Where they uttered not a peep;
Tidied up my wayward tresses,
Changed my clothes, and put on shoes;
Went to meet my precious sweetheart...
Tell me. What have I to lose?

I'll admit that when I came back
My poor peaches had turned brown;
And that dough, in spite of chilling,
Had puffed up all fat and round;
And the mess within my kitchen
Hadn't changed or gone away....
But a chance for lunch with Hubby 
Doesn't happen every day!

This poem is taken from page 8 of the Fall 2008 edition of Keepers At Home magazine.

This poem is so sweet and funny! It has to be based on true life circumstances. Who would have come up with the line, "I bandaged up the cow's tail," unless they actually had bandaged up a cow's tail? I had to laugh! The moral of the poem is true, too. Nurturing your relationship with your spouse is worth the price of over risen dough and brown peaches. :) 

Song of Solomon 4:10 
How fair is thy love, my sister, my spouse! how much better is thy love than wine! and the smell of thine ointments than all spices!


2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Its a beautiful thing to be able to put aside those things for time with our husbands.
That's a great poem...and helps to put priorities in place.

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you for the comment, Jennifer!