Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Finished Denim Rag Quilt

 


Last year I shared a post about salvaging jeans to make a quilt. (Read it HERE)  


I am pleased to announce that I have completed my Denim Rag Quilt!

Here it is all finished:


And the back:


I used denim and fleece, primary, for the backing.


Most fleece pieces were scavenged from a bunch of pajamas that were being given away by someone at church. 


I took some of the denim pieces from the cuff portions of jeans. I took all the stitches out and unrolled the hems. Looking back, I think I had taken saving fabric to an extreme! :)


The block above is special to me.  ^ It came from an apron I had had for many years. The apron was so tattered and stained that this is the only block that I could save from it for a quilt.

Here is a quick explanation of how I made my rag quilt:

I cut 6 1/2 inch squares. I tried to have half of the blocks from jean and the other half from prettier material that was kind of heavy. (And, Boy! Is this quilt heavy!)

I layered a block of jean on the back of the pretty blocks.


Then I sewed a X through both blocks to keep them from shifting 


Once I had all the blocks ready, I started attaching them to one another in rows. 


Then I sewed the rows together. I did two adjoining rows and then the next two rows in sequence and then sewed both of those sections together to create a section of four rows. 

I'll explain it like this:


If the rows were all numbered;

 I sew row #1 to row #2. Then I sew row #3 to row #4. Then I sew section #1-2 to #3-4. This way, (as opposed to sewing #1 to #2 to #3 to #4 to #5.........to#13) makes managing the quilt much easier. Working with smaller sections at a time allows you to have less bulk to maneuver around your sewing machine.

 The last seam was sewing the two halves together.

Never mind the shoe in the corner. :)

I suggest having extra needles for your sewing machine on hand when you sew a quilt like this. There is a lot of bulk to stitch through. I had a couple needles snap while I was working on this project.

The last step is to clip all the seams about every 1/2 inch.
I still have not finished clipping all the seams. It is a big job! I may never get around to it. :)



The raggy edges are not my favorite look, but this technique makes for a quick and easy quilt. I hope this quilt lasts a long time. I think this quilt will be nice for watching 4th of July fireworks. I am not sure if I will ever want to make another rag quilt, but I am glad that have at least made one. :)

9 comments:

Amy said...

That's so neat! I've wanted to make a rag quilt for a long time. Yours turned out so cute! :) Thanks for sharing the pictures and steps.

Haley Smith said...

Yay! Glad you finished it!! The apron was one of the ones we made from jumpers, right?

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you, Amy! I am glad you like my quilt. Hopefully you will get to make one someday, too! :)

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you, Haley! Yes, the apron was one we made from jumpers. I was thinking about doing another one of those soon. If I do, there will be a blog post about it. ;)

Melissa Huffman said...

Aww your Apron! I love your work and determination not to mention the talent to create your own designs. It is beautiful and well done!

Sarah said...

Your quilt look terrific! Completing a quilt is a big job. It is a nice way to cherish special fabrics and memories.

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you, Mommy!

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you, Sarah!

Mary Stephens said...

Thank you for the instructions for this simple quilt. I have scheduled a post on my blog with a link to this to go up on Tuesday. :-) I hope someone finds it helpful.