Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Brief Birth Story For Baby #4

 What A Baby Costs

By Edgar Albert Guest

"How much do babies cost?" said he
The other night upon my knee;
And then I said: "They cost a lot;
A lot of watching by a cot,
A lot of sleepless hours and care,
A lot of heartache and despair,
A lot of fear and trying dread,
And sometimes many tears are shed
In payment for our babies small,
But every one is worth it all.

"For babies people have to pay
A heavy price from day to day--
There is no way to get one cheap.
Why, sometimes when they're fast asleep
You have to get up in the night
And go and see that they're all right.
But what they cost in constant care
And worry, does not half compare
With what they bring of joy and bliss...
You'd pay much more for just a kiss.

"Who buys a baby has to pay
A portion of the bill each day;
He has to give his time and thought
Unto the little one he's bought.
He has to stand a lot of pain
Inside his heart and not complain;
And pay with lonely days and sad
For all the happy hours he's had.
All this a baby costs, and yet
His smile is worth it all, you bet."

I normally don't share personal information such as birth stories on this blog, but since I have shared more pregnancy related topics this time around I will go ahead and recount a brief description of the labor and delivery of my most recent child.

This pregnancy was my most difficult pregnancy so far. It culminated in the most easy delivery that I have had with any of my children. It brings to mind this verse from Ecclesiastes:

Ecclesiastes 7:8

Better is the end of a thing than the beginning thereof: and the patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit.

Baby #4 was born at 41+3 weeks. I wasn't surprised at all to be overdue. All of my children have been born a week or more past their due dates. I always expect to go late.


I was having contractions through the night, but I was ignoring them and able to sleep pretty well.

When I woke up at 5:36a.m. my waters ruptured. I called the midwife. Then I woke up Mr. In The Mid-west.

The children started waking up. Mr. In The Mid-west was cleaning the house to get ready for people to show up. He was also getting the children ready to leave. I was packing clothes for the children and cleaning the bathroom and brushing Dear Daughter's hair between contractions. I wasn't timing them, but I could tell they were getting close.

The midwife called at 6:37a.m. to see what contractions were like. I timed a few. They were 2 minutes apart and a minute long! She said she would leave her house and head our way. It's an 1 1/2 hour drive, by the way.

Around 7a.m. is when I felt like I was going through transition. Around 7 is also when my Mother-in-law got to our house to pick up the children.

I went to lay down. I usually get really sleepy after transition and experience a welcome respite before the really hard part starts.

The midwife got here at 8:20. She made it! I was starting to do little, teeny tiny, pushes. May be I should describe it as slightly bearing down. But I really didn't want to push. The midwife checked and said I had a cervical lip. I tried a squatting type position for 2-3 contractions. I wasn't holding myself up on my own. Mr. In The Mid-west was holding me up by holding me under my arms and I was just dangling in a squatting position. That worked. The lip was gone and I could push the baby out. I like to be on my knees, leaning into the bed for that part. Baby #4 was born at 8:46a.m! 3 hours of labor. Not bad at all! :) 

I am grateful that everything went well. I am also glad that it is all over. I have been enjoying getting to know our newest little bundle of joy! :)

6 comments:

Melissa Huffman said...

Congratulations and thankful your newest was the easiest labor and delivery! Prayers answered!

A Joyful Heart said...

It was neat hearing your birth story again. You did a good job writing it out in a short, interesting way. Each birth is so different and I'm glad things went faster and easier for you this time. Can't wait to meet my newest little nephew! :)

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you, Mommy! Answered prayers indeed.:)

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you for the comment, A Joyful Heart! I appreciate the feedback that my story was short and interesting. That was my goal. :)

Jennifer said...

Congratulations on the newest addition to your family. Thanks fo sharing your story...each birth is precious and I'm glad to know the Lord brought you through safely. Praying you continue to enjoy getting to know each other.

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you for the congratulations, Jennifer! We are grateful that the Lord caused everything to go smoothly and safely. God is good!