Monday, September 25, 2023

See&Sew 6634 By Butterick Shirt Dress Pattern Review

 


Pattern Description:
Very loose-fitting dress five inches below mid-knee has shawl collar, front button opening, front and back gathered into forward shoulder yoke, elbow length rolled sleeves with button and tab trim, patch pockets and side seam pockets.
Pattern Sizing: 
This pattern was available in sizes 8, 10, 12, 14, and 16. Only one size was in my envelope and that is size 16.
Was the pattern easy to follow? This pattern was very easy to follow. It came together quickly. There were no glitches.

Did the dress turn out like the picture? I don't feel like it turned out the way I expected. It is more blousy and baggy than the pictures on the pattern. Perhaps, it is only due to the size. A smaller size may fit better. Or, maybe, the top is baggy on me because I am short. My waist might be higher than the dress is designed for, causing the gathering to fall at a higher point on my body, pushing the blouse up, making it poofy. Anyway, I think my dress turned out a little differently than the picture on the pattern. Let me know what you think.

Did I make any changes to the pattern? I made one change. I put a drawstring in the waist instead of elastic. The pattern called for elastic, but I was afraid that an elastic would not hold up to the weight of the material I used.
I like the adjustability that the drawstring offers.


What material did I use? I used a medium weight twill that was a stretch fabric. I picked the piece of material at a thrift store several years ago. The color is slightly yellow, like butter, with baby blue flowers and spring green leaves scattered over.
I like the sleeves, the covered buttons, and the pockets. It is a very comfortable dress. 
Overall, I am happy with this dress. I am looking forward to wearing it for many years!


4 comments:

AAC14 said...

Hello! I love the dress you made. The print is lovely, and the full skirt is so fun. It looks nice and breezy for summer, but with a cardigan it will be great for fall, too. I'm trying to get back into my sewing projects this fall!

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you for your comment, AAC14! You are right, this dress is so versatile. I hope your sewing projects go well!

Cennetta said...

Beautiful birthday dress. It feels very good to make something special for yourself. Your dress turned out perfect. I too make changes all the time from the pattern recommendations. Enjoy wearing your new dress.

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you for leaving me a comment, Cennetta! I am a big fan of your blog. I love seeing all your projects. You inspire me!