Tuesday, August 3, 2021

KJV Pew Bible Review|Holman Publishers Vs. Hendrickson Publishers

A couple years ago I came to the conclusion that I would like to use a hardcover pew Bible, as opposed to a leather bound study Bible. The Bible that I use gets beat up. My Bible is part of my everyday, less than pristine, life.

Stitched Signatures
The stitches are visible in the crack above.


Why A Pew Bible?

They are:

• Cheap

• Durable

• Bare Bones Scripture

• Easy to replace

Another thing that made me want to use a pew Bible is that they tend to be plain scripture without commentary and references.

I like this for two reasons:

1. I can come to my own understanding of what the Bible means without as many preconceived notions.

2. The Bible can be fewer pages from Genesis through Revelations. 


I have a Holman Publishers pew Bible that I have used for the past 31 months. It has served me well. It is showing signs of wear and has needed taping in a few areas inside the front and back cover. Mr. In The Mid-west just bought me a new Bible. My new one is from Hendrickson Publishers. I will do a little review and comparison between the two.

Hendrickson Publishers on the Left
Holman Publishers on the Right


Holman Publishers KJV Pew Bible

ISBN #978-1-5864-0942-5

Dimensions:

8"×5.5"×1.25"

Font style and size:


Construction:

Stitched Signatures ✓

Ribbon X


Number of pages from Genesis through Revelations:

1077

Special Features:

Words of Christ in red ✓

Salvation plan ✓

Paragraph delineation symbols ✓

Epistle of dedicatory X

Study helps X

Maps ✓ (2 maps)


Capitol letters and spellings in particular verses:

Gen. 1:2 Capitol S in Spirit ✓

Psalm 51:11 Capitol S in Spirit  X

John 6:63 Capitol S in Spirit  X

2 Tim. 3:17 throughly not thoroughly ✓

1 John 5:7 Capitol F, W, H,+G in Father, Word, and Holy Ghost ✓

1 John 5:8 Capitol S in Spirit  X


Hendrickson Publishers KJV Pew Bible 

ISBN # 978-1-59856-220-0

Dimensions:

8.75"×5.5"×1.125"

Font style and size:


Construction:

Stitched Signatures ✓

Ribbon X


Number of pages from Genesis through Revelations:

740

Special Features:

Words of Christ in red  X

Salvation plan  X

Paragraph delineation symbols ✓

Epistle of dedicatory  ✓

Study helps  ✓ (Key Bible Promises, Harmony of the Gospels, Miracles of the Old Testament, Miracles of the New Testament, Parables of the Old Testament, Old Testament Prophecies of the Passion, and Parables of the New Testament. Only 15 pages total)

Maps ✓ (3 maps)


Capitol letters and spellings in particular verses:

Gen. 1:2 Capitol S in Spirit ✓

Psalm 51:11 Capitol S in Spirit ✓

John 6:63 Capitol S in Spirit  X

1 Tim. 3:17 throughly not thoroughly ✓

1 John 5:7 Capitol F, W, H,+G in Father, Word, and Holy Ghost ✓

1 John 5:8 Capitol S in Spirit ✓

I really like the fact that both Bibles are constructed with stitched signatures. Stitched signatures are much more durable than glued in pages.

I find both fonts and size of the letters easy to read.

The thing that I am most excited about in my new (Hendrickson Publishers) Bible is that it is only 740 pages Genesis through Revelations. 

One feature that I think I will miss is the words of Christ in red that the Holman Publishers Bible features.


Have you considered using a pew Bible for your main Bible? 

Do you want to know any other details about these two Bibles that I compared?

Psalm 119:89

For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.

No comments: