Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Recommend Support Belt For Pelvic Girdle Pain

 



This belt has changed my life. I am dead serious. I had been dealing with almost constant hip pain and limited mobility from January until the end of May with my latest pregnancy.

I read this article, which my sister shared with me:

https://www.maternity-belt.co.uk/about/pelvic-girdle-pain/

The article described all my symptoms and gave suggestions to mitigate the pain and flare ups. 

I didn't see a Doctor or seek any professional medical advice.

Please, by all means, and, of course, if you find yourself in a similar situation you should talk to your Doctor.

That being said, if you read the article about Pelvic Girdle Pain and it describes what you are going through, this support belt may help you.

What happened for me at the end of May is that I visited my sister and she let me borrow her support belt. (Insert angelic choir sound.) Immediate relief! I could go up and down the stairs without hurting. I could lift my foot high enough to put my rubber boots on again. I could walk from the van to the house (or down the hall, or out to the clothesline, or anywhere really) without having to stop, wincing in pain, and wait a few seconds for my legs to work again.


The belt is two pieces. The first part is a Velcro pad in the front to which the second part attaches. It goes on below the belly, around the area of your hip sockets and tail bone. I have worn it both over my skirt and under my skirt. I have not worn it on bare skin. I always wore some type of garment under the belt like a slip or pantyhose. "Pantyhose when your pregnant?!" Well, that is a rabbit trail about varicose veins that I am not going to go down right now.......... 

I wore this support belt everyday during the waking hours. I was able to sleep comfortably at night with the belt off. You certainly can wear the belt through the night, though. My sister mostly wore the belt at night while she slept because that is when she had the most trouble with her hips.


This belt restored my ability to take care of basic household chores. I could squat down or bend over to pick up things off of the floor again. I could take care of the grocery shopping, climbing in and out of the van, hauling children back and forth. 

I have never been so grateful to be able to walk! I have never been so grateful to have relief from pain! Like I said, I had been in nearly constant pain; sitting, standing, walking, kneeling, crawling, laying down, rolling over..... I was so ready for relief!


Prior to reading the article about Pelvic Girdle Pain I had tried to figure out how to avoid flare ups and keep my legs moving easily. I tried stretching and gentle exercises. That didn't help and it seemed to make things worse. I tried supplementing with liquid Calcium, which didn't make any difference. I thought the wonder cure of eating a sugar free diet may help, but, no, it didn't.

After reading the article on Pelvic Girdle Pain I began implementing some of their suggestions. I kept my knees together.  No squatting for me. Whenever I was sitting I would press my knees together. That helped. 

I never crossed my legs anymore. 

I slept on my left side with a pillow between my knees every night. That helped. 

I would go up stairs sideways, one leg at time. That helped.


I stopped carrying things (and children) on my hip or off to one side. That helped.


But, nothing helped as much as the support belt. If I become pregnant again I will be purchasing a belt of my own. The belt costs about $40.00. Here is a link to the website of the company that produces the support belt that has helped me so much:

https://www.optp.com/Maternity-SI-LOC-Support-Belt


I hope anyone out there who is suffering from this type of hip pain can get help. I recommend that you try a support belt like this. It might just be an easy solution that you've been looking for.



4 comments:

Jennifer said...

What a blessing to have that belt so that you can go about doing the things that are needful without so much pain.

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you for the comment, Jennifer! :)
Yes, indeed! This belt was a huge blessing!

Haley Smith said...

I’m so glad it made such a difference for you. ❤️ I was amazed by how such a little amount of pressure could do so much but it really does.

Sister in the Mid-west said...

I am glad you did the research that ended up helping us both. Thank you sharing your belt! 💗