Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Chicken Cacciatore Recipe! Cheap And Tasty



This is one of my frugal go-to recipes! 
I buy chicken quarters in a 10 pound bag for 59¢/lb. I cut the chicken quarters apart, so I end up with a bunch of legs and thighs. After that, I cut the spine part off the thigh pieces. I will use the spine part for broth. The resulting thighs are perfect for recipes like Armenian chicken or Lemon Garlic Chicken.
For Chicken Cacciatore I take the skins off of the chicken pieces. Leaving the skin on makes the sauce too greasy and it wastes the skins. Crispy Chicken skins are a real treat, so I save all the chicken skins to fry up later. Nothing goes to waste!

Chicken Cacciatore Recipe

3 lbs. Skinless, Bone-In Chicken Pieces
2 TBS. Oil
8 oz. White Mushrooms, Sliced
1 Onion, Chopped
1 Bell Pepper, Chopped
5 Cloves Garlic, Minced
1 28oz. can or 1 quart Crushed Tomatoes
1 8oz. can Tomato Sauce
1/2 cup Green Olives, sliced in half
1 tsp. Dried Basil
1 tsp. Dried Oregano
2 tsp. Italian Seasoning
1 Bay Leaf
Dash of Cayenne
2 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Black Pepper

In a 6 quart pot heat oil and saute onion, mushrooms, and bell pepper until soft, 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute 1 minute longer.



Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, olives, and spices. Stir to combine.

Submerge the chicken pieces into the tomato sauce. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to maintain a low simmer, and cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes.


Serve over hot rice or pasta. 
Enjoy!



Crock Pot Cacciatore Variation:

Saute mushrooms, onions, and bell pepper in oil until soft. Add garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
Place in the crock of a 6 quart crock pot.
Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, olives, and spices.
Submerge chicken pieces into the tomato sauce. 
Cook on high for 4 hours.



2 comments:

Sunshine Country said...

I remember eating this at least once when you served it, but for some reason I can't clearly remember the flavors. I should try making it sometime. :) I do remember one (or both?) of my picky eating brothers enjoyed it a lot! :D

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you for the comment, Sunshine Country!
Yes, your youngest brother really liked this recipe, and I it made me very happy to get his compliment! As you said, I know he can be picky at times. :)