Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Macaroni And Cheese: Secret Ingredient Revealed


My Macaroni And Cheese recipe has a secret ingredient. I am going to reveal it today, so, it's not a secret anymore. Many years ago I found this recipe on the side of a pasta box. I made it for my family (at that time), which was my brothers and sisters. Everyone liked this version of Macaroni And Cheese. I don't recall any complaints.

The recipe had an unexpected ingredient. It actually had two particular ingredients, that are really heavy hitters, when it comes to flavor. 

Okay, enough beating around the bush! The special ingredients are dehydrated minced onion and ground mustard. Whenever I make this Macaroni And Cheese recipe I get complements. You can too! Here is my recipe:


Macaroni And Cheese Recipe

2 lbs. Elbow Noodles, Cooked

1/2 cup Butter

1/2 cup Flour

4 cups Milk

2 TBS. Dehydrated Minced Onions

1 tsp. Ground Mustard

1/4 tsp. Black Pepper

1/2 tsp. Salt

1 lb. Processed Cheese (Velveeta, American, etc.)

While the pasta is cooking;

Melt butter in 6 quart dutch oven pot. Sprinkle the flour into the hot butter. Cook the flour, while string, for a few minutes, until the color gets nutty brown.

Slowly add the milk, while stirring.

Add the spices and seasonings. Bring the mixture up to a simmer.

Add the cheese and stir until melted.

Remove from heat.

Add the cooked, drained elbow noodles. Stir to coat.

Enjoy!




6 comments:

Melissa Huffman said...

Yes you surprised me with this! It was very good with those added to it and does set it apart from other recipes.

Haley Smith said...

I have never added ground mustard to my seasoning cabinet since married! I'll often think a dish just needs a little ground mustard, then rifle through the cabinet only to re-realize I don't have any. One of these days I'll remember to pick some up at the store.

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you for the comment! I am glad you remembered this recipe favorably. :)

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you for the comment, Haley. I recently had to restock my ground mustard spicy. I purchased the McCormick brand from Walmart. I am glad they stocked it.

Grace said...

Sounds yummy! Macaroni and cheese is a favorite at our house. I look forward to trying this recipe.

Sunshine Country said...

I don't think I have ever used ground mustard before. I think we have some, actually - but it might be so old that it's no longer any good, to be honest! This sounds interesting to try.