Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Green Tomatoes Before The Frost

This year I picked all my green tomatoes before the frost and lacto fermented them. This is the first time I have tried preserving green tomatoes. I didn't want the tomatoes to go to waste, if possible.

I have this belief that fermented foods are really healthy. That is why I settled on lacto fermentation as my preservation method.

My Harvest! 18 pounds of produce.

I chopped the tomatoes and the peppers that 
I found in the garden.

I salted the vegetables and submerged
 them in a brine.

In one crock I used these muslin
spice bags to help contain the tomato
pieces under the ceramic weights.
The spice bags didn't have any spice
in them. I just needed some kind of cloth
to hold all the tomatoes under the brine. 

In these glass containers I used plastic lids
to hold the tomatoes under the brine.
I stacked the one vessel inside the other to weigh
the lower tomatoes down.

After 12 days at room temperature I checked
the tomatoes for acidity by tasting them.

There was quite a lot of kahm yeast
growing on the surface of the brine.
This yeast is benign and harmless.

I tried scooping off some of the yeast,
But most of it mixed into the brine and fell.

The tomatoes tasted briney and sour.
They had a nice tingly zing. 
Now, tell me if these picked tomatoes look appealing to you. I think they look delicious! But I am weird that way. Lol! I like all kinds of foods that turn Mr. In the Mid-west's stomach. Let me add: he is in no way a picky eater. I'm just strange. Haha!
Anyway, I really like to chop these pickled tomatoes into a smaller dice and use them as a topping for bowls of rice with natto, tuna, and freshly diced onion. Yum!.......for me. :)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not a picky eater either, but I'm not sure I could eat that lol! Sounds healthy though!😄 One year I made pickle relish with my left over green tomatoes. It turned out pretty good. 🙂

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you for the comment!
Haha!
Using green tomatoes to make a relish sounds like a good idea!