Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Making Old Stuff New!

 I have a pile of clothes that I want to make alterations to for my little girl to wear. 


This is a massive pile of sewing for me to get through! We'll see how far I get on one Saturday. 


Piece 1

Description: Justice brand, girl's size 10, white dress with a lacy over layer. The construction of this dress is better than most clothing I work with. I don't buy by brand name, but this makes me think that some brands are better quality than other's.


 The length of this dress just about right for my daughter. I am just going to take in the side seams a little bit, cut off the excess, finish the edges and topstitch the seam allowance towards the back.



Pieces 2+3

Description: Two Candies brand dresses. Size 7. If it wasn't for the straps these dress would fit my girl just right.

I cut the straps free from the back of the bodice.

I shortened the straps significantly and stitched them in a V orientation at the center back of the bodice.

These two dresses fit my daughter now!


Piece 4

Description: A Faded Glory, size 12, shiney, skirt with a zipper closer in the back. This was a good length but, too wide.

I put some tucks in the waistband in a few places that I thought that tucks would be inconspicuous. A couple in the front and a couple in the back.



Piece 5

Description: Black and white, ruffled, size Large, skort with a wide elastic band at the waist.

Once again the length is good, but it is too wide.

I took in the sides, trimmed off the excess material and finished the new edges. I also cut the middle out of the shorts lining. I didn't finish the edges on what was left of the shorts because it is a knit material, therefore, I don't have to worry about it unraveling. Obviously, I am not trying to win any prizes with these alterations I have made. The sewing that I have done is practical, not always pretty.


Piece 6

Description: Art Class brand, size 5, cute smock style dress, with embroidered design and ruffles at the shoulders.


This dress was too wide in the shoulder area. I stitched two pleats in the back of of the bodice on either side of the buttons.

Now it fits perfectly.


That's it for this Saturday. It is getting late. I have to pick up my mess and put the children to bed. I'll wait for another Saturday to finish my pile of alterations! See you then!

No comments: