Monday, May 22, 2023

Barbeque Sandwich Or Sloppy Joe Sauce Recipe

 


Mr. In The Mid-west loves my Sloppy Joe sandwiches. It made me feel so good recently when I heard him say, after I had packed him a couple Sloppy Joe sandwiches to eat on his way to work one day, "Those were the best Sloppy Joe's that I've ever had!" 
This is a family recipe from my Mom. I have memories of using this recipe to make the pulled
pork meat for my graduation open house. We had to multiply it many times for such a crowd!

Sloppy Joe Sauce

1 small Onion, Chopped

2 TBS. Butter

2 TBS. Vinegar

2 TBS. Brown Sugar

1/4 c. Lemon Juice

10 oz. Ketchup

3 TBS. Worcestershire Sauce

1/2 T. Prepared Mustard

1 c. Water or Broth

1 c. Celery, Diced


Brown the onion in the melted butter. Add the remaining ingredients and let it simmer until celery is tender.

Add about 3 cups (more or less as desired) shredded roast beef or pork for barbeque sandwich meat or add browned ground beef to make Sloppy Joe sandwiches.







7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your recipe! It sounds yummy!

Amy said...

This looks really good! Does the celery have a distinct taste or is it not really noticeable?

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you for the comment, Amy! I think the celery adds to the flavor, it is not very noticeable, though.

Sunshine Country said...

Your recipe for sloppy joes sounds good. :) I have to admit...growing up, it was not one of my favorite foods. I have come to appreciate it a bit more as an adult, but I usually prefer it made with tomato paste rather than ketchup so I can cut back on the sweetness...which probably is no surprise. Lol

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you for the comment, Sunshine Country!
No, it doesn't surprise me that you would try to make Sloppy Joe's less sweet. :) Tomato paste does sound like a good addition, though.

Haley Smith said...

Truly one of my least favorite food options. Why would anyone ever want to eat something with ‘sloppy’ in the name. I hate messy food. 😅

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Haha! Thank you for the comment, Haley. I'll give you sloppy joes, but pulled pork? That's good eatin'!