Monday, May 29, 2023

Dress Sewing Progress In May

 

Before I get to the sewing progress I want to share a picture of the peonies that I have been enjoying. I have cut peony bouquets from yards where no one lives in prior years, but this is the first year that I have had my very own peonies blooming. They are gorgeous! I am so happy to have peonies of my very own. :) Fun fact: Peonies are the state flower of Indiana; land of my nativity.
It has been a beautiful month. This past Saturday the weather was so idilic. I was enjoying the morning outdoors. I hung a load of laundry on the clothesline. There are few things as satisfying as a load of clean diapers flapping on the clothesline. 
It was such a peaceful morning!
I collected a bundle of bachelor buttons to dry.* My bachelor button patch is starting to bloom like crazy. 

*I have since discovered that drying bachelor buttons doesn't work. At least, this method doesn't work.

On to the sewing content:
I did a lot of piddly sewing projects this month between stints of working on the formal dress.

I picked up this brightly colored floral XXL skirt at thrift store. I liked the pattern and I knew there would be plenty of material to make something for my little girl.

I cut out pieces to make a jumper with pockets.

I finished the neck and arm holes with bias tape.

I added lace at the hem.

I was way off with the pocket placement. They are too low; like down at her knees. That is a bummer! I waited until all the seams were finished to check the placement, though, so the pockets are going to stay in the wrong place.

This jumper was a nice one day project. I was able to sew it on a Saturday when I had a lighter load, as far as household duties go.



I did some hand basting on the tulip sleeves for the formal dress. 

I set my phone camera on the shelf above my head to capture these shots.

I found this skirt when we were out thrift shopping, too. It was a size 10-12 girls. Much too wide for my 3 year old. So I put a new waistband on it.
It took me about 45 minutes to take all the stitches out of the original waistband. I decided to reuse the elastic, so that was an extra 15 minutes to take the serging out of the elastic.
I like to use a really light weight fabric for elastic casings. Stiffer fabrics sometime keep the elastic from being as springy as I would like. I used some viscose lining fabric for the casing on this project.

Below, is a skirt that needed to be narrower for my daughter to wear it now. I took it in at few points along the waist. The print is really cute on her and I like the pleating details. They add a nice flare.

This skirt needed some length. 
I had some red fabric that matched. I added a flounce with a lace trim. Now it is a perfect patriotic skirt!

I crafted this black skirt from a spaghetti strap top. I just cut off the top portion and added a viscose casing for an elastic waistband. It is a really comfy jersey material. I think she is going to wear this one a lot.

I sewed the tulip sleeves on to the bodice of the formal dress. I assembled the skirt and skirt lining. I sewed the bodice to the skirt.

When I had my daughter try on the dress she immediately began twirling around and swirling the skirt. This is a really good dress for twirling!


I resorted to stitching the zipper on by hand because I can't find a zipper foot for my sewing machine. I used to have a zipper foot, but for some reason it is gone now.
This is an invisible zipper. It turned out pretty invisible. It is not my best zipper install job, though. I certainly wouldn't want my 4-h Judge of yesteryear trying to work the zipper up and down. It moves, but it is quite difficult! I must have stitched it too close to the zipper teeth. 

The dress is not finished. May is not over yet.
I will keep working. I want her to be able to wear it to a wedding on Saturday. The pressure is on!

2 comments:

Sunshine Country said...

Looks like you've made lots of progress lately! I have been wanting to do more sewing...but unlike you having just your zipper presser foot missing... The sewing machine I have to use here has all of the pressure feet missing! With 10 children around, I wonder why? Lol. Disappointing...but hopefully we can order one. I already tried searching at one of the only sewing stores around, and they don't carry any. Your Peonies are very pretty, by the way!

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you for the comment, Sunshine Country! It is funny that we are both having issues with lacking presser feet. At least I can still sew. Thank you for sharing the funny story. I hope you are able to a presser foot and get back to sewing soon.