Friday, May 12, 2023

Friendship With Creation And The Creator (Poem)

Hepatica 
(If you are interested in seeing many of the woodland flowers mentioned in stanzas 5 and 6 of this poem, I highly recommend the blog: Plants Amaze Me. I enjoy so much the pictures on that blog. I virtually go on walks in the woods with the author through her photography. I vicariously get to experience the flora and it delights me.)

 Friendship With Creation And The Creator
By Henry Beer

Some people love the gilded joys
Of crowded city life;
And many revel in it's throng,
It's tumult and it's strife.

When balmy summer days have come,
I roam the woodland wild;
I still can find a mystic joy,
As when I was a child.

Long years I've known the flowered friends,
Each spring they do appear.
Amid the crowded cares of life,
They give me springtime cheer.

I've learned to know them by their names,
I know their time and places.
You ask me how I know these flowers?
I know them by their faces.

I've learned to know the Violet
And Rue Anemone,
The Adder's Tongue, Hepatica,
The Trillium blooming free;

The Dogwood and the Red Bud pink,
And whither we may turn,
We see Spring Beauties everywhere,
The Bloodroot and the Fern.

One needn't be a scientist
These beauties to explore.
Just view them in the light of Him
Who liveth evermore.

For all the lovely things of earth
Are shadows of the time
When all the pure will bloom anew
More lovely and sublime.

I've learned to know the Master true,
He has most wonderful ways.
He knows the mysteries of the earth,
And merits all my praise.

So in this royal friendship bound,
His handiwork I see;
And though I live on earth below,
We live in harmony.

Proverbs 27:25 
The hay appeareth, and the tender grass 
sheweth itself, and herbs of the mountains 
are gathered.

2 comments:

Amy said...

That's a beautiful poem! Makes me want to learn more names of the flowers that grow around here, and also teach my children. :)

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you for the comment, Amy!