Friday, November 10, 2023

November By Henry Beer | Poem


November

November days are dark and cold,
The saddest of the year;
The clouds do hill and vale enfold,
The days seem lonely and dreary.
The leaves have fallen to the earth,
The trees stand bare, alone.
Our feathered friends with songs of mirth
To sunny climes have gone.
And, when we wander through the woods,
A blanket made of leaves
Protects the springtime flowers that bloom
From winter's chilling breeze.
All snuggled 'neath this leafy robe
The flowers lie asleep,
This rustic blanket keeps them warm
When snow lies cold is gathered in,
The fodder stands in rows;
The grain is gathered in the bins,
No want the farmer knows.
Though dark November days may be,
There's beauty all around;
The bittersweet with berries bright
On fences old is found.
The cattails in the marshes deep,
The wild geese flying high;
We see them take their southern course
Across the cloudy sky.
The cellar is a festive place-
Attracts the heart and eye,
Where fruits and vegetables abound,
Which winter needs supply.
The walnuts lie in attic floor,
The pumpkins in a row.
Here peace, contentment, fill out hearts
As autumn winds do blow.
Though dark this month may be, and dreary,
Our hearts are filled with praise
To Him from whom all blessings come
On dreary November days.

By Henry Beer
My Garden of Verse
Pages174-175

2 comments:

Sunshine Country said...

This poem describes pretty well how I've often thought of fall...:) It definitely can be a dreary and cold time of year! Although, I have been really enjoying the beautiful colors of trees lately, and am learning to enjoy fall more than I used to, and am thankful for that. I guess it is just the reminder that winter is coming that makes it seem disappointing. I think springtime will always be my favorite time of year! :) This colder weather has been making me feel more like pulling out some sewing projects, so that's something I'm looking forward to!

Sister in the Mid-west said...

This year has been kind of unusual. While it is surprising, it is also enjoyable, that there are still leaves in many shades on the trees this late into November.
I am always sad to see summer going, too. I enjoy the long evenings of fall, though. The long evenings tend to have a cozy, leisure attitude about them that I find relaxing. Perfect for sewing or other handiwork.
I hope your projects go well!