Friday, November 17, 2023

The Wild Geese By Henry Beer | Poem


The Wild Geese

I saw a flock of wild geese fly
Across the somber autumn sky,
In orderly formation!
As to the South they took their flight,
From wing to wing in cloudy height
I gazed in admiration.

A destined course they seem to take,
Their nests and summer haunts forsake,
And fly to sunny regions.
In close formation you can see
Them make the sign of victory
By following their leader.

They take their course high in the air
And thus elude the hunter's snare;
They know the Fowler's tactics.
I thought how much akin to life,
For men, like them, in earthly strife
Must have a guide and leader.

Our God and Father did provide
For us a Captain, shield and guide,
In Christ, the Prince, Emanuel.
If, like these fowls, we ever stay
With Christ, our leader, on the way
We'll find out goal in safety.

Thanks! Thanks to you, my friends on high!
As from my wandering gaze you fly
You've taught a noble lesson.


No comments: