Friday, March 17, 2017

Fruit Snacks In Two Flavors!


My sister over at My Beautiful Bubble shared a recipe for fruit snacks and the story of how she developed the recipe a couple weeks ago. She made some tasty looking flavors, apple and a berry/cranberry flavor. You should go check out her post. :)
Cute little containers of Fruit Snacks that Haley put together. Click for link.


Here are my variation of Haley's Fruit Snacks.

 Prune And Grape Flavored Fruit Snacks

Ingredients:
2 cups grape juice
3 envelopes Knox gelatin powder
1/3 cup of dried prunes
1/2 cup water
2 TBS. honey

 Chop the prunes into small pieces with a knife.
Place the chopped prunes and 1/2 cup of water into a one quart saucepan. Bring to a boil, turn heat down, and simmer for 5 minutes.

Blend prunes and cooking liquid in a food processor until pureed. Should yeild about 1/2 a cup of prune puree.

Pour prune puree back into the sauce pan. Add juice and honey. Sprinkle Knox gelatin powder over the juice. Give it a few minutes  (5ish minutes) to hydrate. 
Heat over medium heat until gelatin is dissolved.

Pour into a small pan.  My sister used a bread pan. I didn't want mine to be as thick as they would've been in my bread pans. I used a small 10"×7" casserole dish.

Chill in the refrigerator for 3 hours. Turn out of the pan and cut into pieces of whatever size you desire.

These turned out very good! Getting them out of the pan was a little tricky (as you will see with the next flavor I show you). I found that cutting them while they were still in the pan made them easy to get out.



Orange And Sweet Potato Fruit Snacks

Ingredients:
2 cups orange juice
1 baked sweet potato (For 1/2 cup of sweet potato puree
3 envelopes Knox gelatin
2 TBS. honey
Optional:
1 drop Christmas Spirit Young Living Essentially Oil

Peel skin from sweet potato. Puree peeled sweet potato in food processor.

In one quart saucepan combine 1/2 cup of sweet potato puree, orange juice, and honey. Sprinkle Knox gelatin powder over the liquid. Let set a few minutes (5ish minutes) to hydrate.

Over medium heat, while stirring, heat mixture to dissolve the gelatin powder.


At this point you may add ONE drop of the Y.L. Christmas Spirit oil. I used two drops, and, although pleasant tasting, was a little to strong. After a couple days the flavor mellowed out quite a bit and was more enjoyable.
The primary flavors in this oil blend are orange and cinnamon.

Remove from heat. Pour into 10"×7" dish.

Chill in refrigerator 3 hours.

Cut into squares.

This batch fell apart as I was trying to turn it out of the pan. I should have tried cutting them into squares before trying to take them out of the pan.


This Orange Sweet Potato flavor was very good! I really liked how the texture turned out. They are a little chewy and squishy.


2 comments:

Haley Smith said...

I love the sound of what the sweet potato added to the texture.
In all the batches I've done I haven't had any trouble turning it from the pan. Maybe because my bread pans are non stick?

A Heart of Praise said...

These sound good! The flavour combinations you used are interesting, I think the sweet potato one would be yummy! :)