Monday, June 12, 2017

Buttermilk Pound Cake Recipe


I made this to be served with strawberries and whipped cream after church on our mid-week service.

We always like to stay and visit after church and we normally go to the local fast food establishment and fellowship with the pastor's family until restaurant closes.

I thought it would be nice to stay and fellowship over dessert at church one night, so I made this pound and brought sliced-sugared strawberries and whipped real cream.

The fellowship was great (as usual) and I got a few compliments on the pound cake. I am going to write the recipe here so that I don't forget which one I made.

As I normally do, I substituted kefir for the buttermilk in the recipe. I don't have anything against buttermilk. I like to keep kefir start going, though, and that means I never have the need to buy buttermilk. I never buy buttermilk, but I always have kefir. :)

Buttermilk Pound Cake

1/2 cup (1/4 pound) softened butter
2 1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 cup buttermilk (I used kefir)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. almond extract
Zest of 1 large orange (omitted due to lack of oranges)
Zest of 1 small lemon (omitted due to lack of lemons)

In a large mixing bowl, beat butter until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
   Sift flour, measure, and sift again with soda. Beat into creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk mixed with vanilla, almond extract and zest (begin and end with dry ingredients). Pour into greased and floured 10 inch tube cake pan. Or 2 loaf pans.
    Bake in a 350° F. oven for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes; turn out onto wire rack. Makes 12 to 14 servings.

No comments: