Thursday, August 2, 2018

Midsummer Forest Creatures



We went for a stroll through the woods yesterday. We found lots of little creatures.
I am raising BMW to be quite the naturalist. He is good at spotting little insects. He is not afraid to handle them either.

Yesterday, on our walk, we saw an Assassin Bug, Daddy Long Legs, Butterflies, a baby snake, a Cicada, a Cicada shell, a Cardinal, and a Wren. The nettles were high. I have never been bothered much by stinging nettle. BMW did get his first sting from a nettle. Thankfully there was a paved path so we could steer clear of the nettles.

Daddy Long Leg⬆

Cicada⬆


I was scared to pick up the snake, even though it was a tiny baby. I was so jumpy as I tried to grasp the little fella. He was a fast little sucker. Once I did manage to pick up the little snake I realized how cute he was. He was scared. He calmed down when I closed my hand and gave him a place to hide. He looked at us with his little round eyes and flicked his tiny tongue out, tasting the air.

Psalms 105:5 
Remember his marvellous works that he hath done; his wonders, and the judgments of his mouth;

3 comments:

A Heart of Praise said...

That’s a cute little snake, do you know what kind it was? We don’t have stinging nettles around our house here, but I remember getting stung by them plenty of times growing up.

Sister in the Mid-west said...

I am not sure what kind of snake it was. I should look up some pictures online. I'm guessing it was a kind of water snake based on some brown water snakes I saw around my families pond when I was growing up.
Thanks for asking, though, because I am going to go reaserch it now! :)

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Well, after several Google searches, I was unable to identify this snake. It doesn't help that it is a juvenile and may not look the same as an adult. If anyone reading this thread is familiar with this type of snake please share your knowledge! We'd love to know!