Tuesday, October 20, 2020

My Aged Pepper Hot Sauce "Recipe"



I call this a "recipe" in quotes, because it is more of a method than a recipe, per se. You can try this method with any kind of hot peppers you like. I like hot sauce that doesn't have a complicated flavor profile. When I buy hot sauce I like to look for a label that reads something like: "aged peppers, salt, and vinegar." The main flavors in the hot sauce I make are peppers and garlic. 


The first year I made hot sauce I made it out of habanero peppers. I didn't follow a particular recipe. I just made it up as I went. I took a bottle of the finished product to my Dad. My Dad is a hot sauce connoisseur. He has a couple shelves of hot sauce in the fridge. He eats food with his hot sauce instead of hot sauce with his food. He is serious about this condiment! My Dad loved my hot sauce!! He called me up and said, "I hope you remember how you made that hot sauce. The bottle is about gone and I am going to need some more!"

I was like, "Oh, I just fermented some peppers and blended them up."

My brother, Aaron, interviewed me to get more details. His questions helped jog my memory, and helped me figure out what I had done to make the hot sauce. Here is my method:


Hot Sauce

1 qt. Peppers

1 bulb Garlic

1qt. Water 

1 TBS. Kosher Salt or other Salt with no additives

Apple Cider Vinegar


Put fresh peppers and peeled, whole, garlic cloves into sterilized glass jar. Make a brine by mixing the water and salt together until the salt has dissolved. Pour the brine over the peppers. Keep the peppers submerged with a weight. I like to use a glass with water in it as a weight. Set the jar in a place out of direct sunlight and let age at room temperature for 10 days. If the brine level falls below the peppers just top the jar off with more brine. 



After 10 days blend the peppers and garlic in a food processor. Add as much brine as you would like. The hotter you want the sauce the less brine you want to add. Personally, I add all the brine and I think the sauce is plenty hot enough. Strain the seeds and skins out with a wire mesh. Add a little apple cider vinegar to reach the desired tanginess. You may, also, want to add more salt. I usually do add more salt. Pour into a bottle and store in the refrigerator. Enjoy!




2 comments:

Mary Stephens said...

I had to laugh at your description of your dad's love of hot sauce. My dad is similar. He has made all different kinds of hot sauce over the years. He also made a fermented hot sauce recently. I don't know if he has written his recipe down. He's somewhat famous in our family for not writing things down, or for writing down the ingredients, but no measurements. ;-) I am going to share this at my blog. Thanks for taking the time to figure out your method and measurements and write them up for your readers. :-)

Melissa Huffman said...

This is exciting! I won’t tell Daddy that you have made another batch.